Thursday, January 24, 2008

New read-aloud

In thinking about what children's books to take to Fresno (I hate baggage restrictions--I am sure to have to pay for extra!), I quickly had to pare down to just the skinny ones and the paperbacks. It is important to have fun reading to children, so that was a criteria too.

A couple of the new ones I am taking are by Anne Dewdney. Llama, Llama Red Pajama and Llama Mad at Mama. Red Pajama is a bedtime book and will be very familiar to parents with young children. The newest, Llama Mad at Mama shows Llama Llama and Mama going to Shop-A-Rama on Saturday. It too will touch some lives. The best thing about these books is the expressions Dewdney has given Llama Llama throughout. These are not out in paperback yet, so I had to borrow my grandchildren's copy of Red PJ and buy the new one.

I am also using some cartoons copied out of Mem Fox's Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever. One shows a mother hen reading to her egg; one depicts the Nativity scene with the the magi lined up with their gifts--Jesus turns to Mary and says, "I was really hoping for books."

It will be fun. I will try to innoculate everyone I see with the joy of books.




No comments: