Monday, April 24, 2006

Last words

The "cemetery class" I am taking has piqued my interest in the last words of famous people.

Maybe one of the more famous is from the Texas writer O. Henry: "Don't turn down the light. I'm afraid to go home in the dark."

"I shall hear in heaven!" Beethoven Afflicted with deafness, he died at age 57.

"Tell them I loved to draw." Edgare Degas

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist----." General John Sedgwick shortly before he was killed by a Confederate sharpshooter.

"Tell my mother I died for my country. I thought I did it for the best. Useless, useless..." John Wilkes Booth

"Am I dying or is this my birthday?" Lady Astor awaking to find herself surrounded by her entire family.

"What's this?" Leonard Berstein

Taken in part from Famous Last Words compiled by Ray Robinson



I hope mine will be, "Thank you, Father. I want to come home."

No comments: