Saturday, July 21, 2007

Blink of an eye

In our last stint with Anne Lamott, we discussed the chapter "The Blink of an Eye" in which she writes about how fast life goes. That is no new thought--the Bible is full of such reminders. But just that day, I kept the grandchildren, and I was hit again with the truth of it.

Sam came flying in with his beautiful hair combed, in a T shirt with an alligator that said "Chomp" and his little khaki shorts and I knew when I saw him that I was seeing Sam at 17--good-looking, preppy, going full-blast. And he is only two years old!

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses
itself in the sunset." Last words of Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

No comments: