Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Catching up

My computer monitor has been giving me trouble, so I have not been able to post--here's what I have been up to lately:

Pool party on Sunday in the hot sun!!!! Maddie kept asking me to get in the pool so she "could help me swim"--I had told her earlier that although I had lessons through the years, I had never learned to swim. And that I was so pround of her for learning at age 5.

Small group: We are beginning a video series featuring THE N. T. WRIGHT whose writings are being touted by many people I know. I am looking forward to it.

Volunteering: I went to our Wayne Reed Christian Child Care Center for a few hours yesterday. Sandy Collins wanted me to sort shelves of books so they would be more useful. Sorting into teacher units, books to be read while waiting for school to start (some of the kids get there before 6:30 a.m.), books to be given away to parents, and books to pitch. My librarian soul was happy to do that, and with the help of Doris Colvett (a retired elem. teacher) we strode into the room and began.
We probably got only 1/3 of the job done before we had to leave. What a job! It is amazing what turns up when people are asked to make donations of books to a non-profit! I have never seen so many Disney books in my life. And worn and torn books as well. I had no trouble pitching many of them. The same goes for donated videos in the teacher workroom which we had to go through to free up some shelves. The task almost made me wish I were in the trenches again, organizing things for the teachers' benefit, buying books to implement the curriculum and buying books for the enjoyment of preschool children who have no books at home.

Doris and I will go back after vacation and finish up. It was a joy.

No comments: