Monday, June 28, 2004

Loaf of bread

"The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are 3 million to one."
Erma Bombeck

Riding my bike to Simpson's store a few blocks away for a loaf of bread was one of my chores every Monday in the summer. My blue bike with silver wheel covers and cardboards on the wheel spokes sped down Avenue C efficiently. My basket held the bread delicately. It was one of my favorite chores.

I had only enough money to buy bread. It was tied up in the end of a handkerchief stuffed in my pocket. That didn't keep me from looking longingly at the Cracker Jacks, JoBoy candy bars, Double Bubble bubble gum and Dr Peppers near the check-out register.

Perhaps that is why today I can't pass a check-out counter without adding to my grocery total.

Thank you Lord for having enough change left today to buy Big Red Gum and a bottle of water.

No comments: