Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life lived forward and backward

I was glad to see Benjamin Button receive so many academy nominations. I thought it was a very good film with a unique perspective. Taken (very loosely) from an F. Scott Fitzgerald story, it tells the life of a man who is born old and gets younger as he lives until at last he is an infant. The original story can be found on line. The rewrite is much better in a lot of ways, including the setting.

Curious Case is a rather literary film with gorgeous photography, beautiful stars (how can anyone be as handsome as Bran Pitt? There is a shot of him in a sailboat that knocked my socks off) and even a moral or two. There is a good romance too--but this is more than a chick flick

When reading folklore, one must "suspend disbelief" as one does here--but the ride is worth it. I know it will probably not win--Slumdog Millionaire seems to already be the favorite, but it would deserve the Oscar in my opinion.

No comments: