Wednesday, March 09, 2005

On the edge

One of the new books I bought recently is Interrupted by God, Glimpses from the Edge by Tracey Lind. Lind, an ordained Episcopal priest, says in her preface, "...as a child of an interfaith marriage (Methodist and Jewish), a lesbian, and one who has spent a great deal of time with the homeless, I belong to the edge, to the fringe, to the people who are never certain if, when, or where they fit into the great scheme of things."

Several years ago, a former college roommate of mine opened the closet and declared herself a lesbian. Not long ago, a very dear friend owned up to having similar leanings, although never acting on them. The roommate is now living in a marriage with another woman who loves her. The friend has begun a ministry in her home to university students who are wrestling with their sexuality. I don't pretend to know why these two women, raised in straight (very straight) Church of Christ homes, came to these realizations. My roommate was abused by a crazy husband with a theology degree. And the friend had issues with her father. Other than that, I can only guess. In agreement with many biologists, I think that God did not make them lesbians from birth. And in my struggle with these things, it is hard to get around those scriptures of condenmation about homosexuality. But is also hard to get around those about greed, materialism, and care of the body. Thus far, I am continuing to love them as they continue to love me in my sinful state.

It is true as Lind says, that these folks are at the edge in our fellowship. Yesterday, someone mentioned a friend who was gay (we were talking about the acceptance of Jesus of the woman and the perfume in Luke 7) and conversation came to a dead standstill. We just don't know what to do about it, and therefore, we do nothing except recoil in horror. Some churches have "recovery" classes or counselors on staff. Others ignore the growing problem. Others have begun churches for those on the edge, as if another church would help. Why can't THE CHURCH help? Why can we not be "missonal" and reach out to those on the edge? By church, I mean the church universal--even the Episcopalians had a heresy trial over this topic.

I realize this is a hot topic. I am trying to be as non-homophobic as my background will allow. No hate comments, please. And by the way, Lind also mentions the homeless as being on the edge. More about that later.

No comments: